File system model (was: UnixFileDirectoryPlugin)

Michael Rueger m.rueger at acm.org
Fri Jan 18 20:25:03 UTC 2002

Tim Rowledge wrote:

> > Yes, I would put this near the top of the to-do list.  Then a bunch of messages which are clumsy in FileDirectory, such as #fileExists:, #deleteFileNamed:, etc., could be simpler messages on a file/filename object such as #exists and #delete.
> Exactly my thoughts. Apart from anything else, a file name is quite
> different from an actual open file being accessed. And much, much better
> to pass around than a String.
> There's already some URL stuff around, maybe it would be nice to make
> sure it is thoroughly cleaned up and put filenames in that hierarchy.
> The old Interval code actually used file urls on all platforms and only

I've been thinking about this too. File URLs though do not allow you to
specifiy relative path names, but a reasonable hierarchy of "locators"
should be able to address that.
I've a cleanup of the current directory stuff pretty much done (sitting
95% ready on my HD ;-)). It does not address the file name issue, but at
least cleans up the APIs so it could serve as an intermediate step for
the rewrite.

Michael