[FYI] Java vs Squeak/Smalltalk

Justin Walsh jwalsh at bigpond.net.au
Sat Jan 19 00:34:15 UTC 2002

I hope Joerg. that from all these contributions some skillfull person will
put together the Definitive Smalltalk. Not just a tutorial but, an analysis
of the Author's INTENTION.
Perhaps easily attached as url (or list of same) to any conversation.
Perhaps the Smalltalk Author('s) might want to kick it off.
Perhaps it already exists (free).
I am one who thinks that the IDE is perfect and is struggling with the IOE
(Integrated Operations Development) aspect:
unfortunately forward development feels the need to "encroach" on the
intrinsic perfection of "Architypical Smalltalk".  It's like touching up the
Mona Lisa.
The IOE needs a good dose of INTENTION just like the original Smalltalk had.
That might put an end to much of the (creative)speculation on this list and
allow the hackers to get on with their important work.
Yes!  I'm a little embarrassed that the effect of my "opinion" might
eventually clog up the list.
Why not a Squeak-IDE at blah and Squeak-IOE at blah That should be more than
enough for the aging and  would be "theorists" like myself.