Learning Squeak

Noel J. Bergman noel at devtech.com
Sun Jan 20 03:24:45 UTC 2002

Ever since Alan Kay mentioned a "Filtering Browser" earlier today, I started
thinking  perhaps it could be extended to support the notion of "problem
domain profiles."  After reading the subsequent comments from Les, Andreas,
and others, I think that it would address the full range of issues that
people have raised so far.

When I want to perform a programming task, I would choose from a list of
registered profiles, and get a toolset configured to help me.  This might
consist of a browser filtered to show the classes deemed useful by the
profile author, a template-generated class for me to fill out, perhaps some
helpful documentation and other tools.  All of which were custom defined by
the author of the specific profile.  The profile could even provide a test
driver to test my class.

Think of this PDP (problem domain profile) strawman as a Squeak approach to
the notion of application wizards, but better.  I don't know if this should
be done using Projects, or what others will think of it, but as a concept,
it is very very appealing to me as a programmer.  And I don't believe that
this is necessarily limited to newbies.  More sophisticated profiles could
help to develop such things as plug-ins, database drivers, MIME-type
handlers, protocol handlers, etc.

	--- Noel