Self ported to Linux

Ted Wright batlist at adelphia.net
Sun Jan 20 14:33:32 UTC 2002

Torsten.Bergmann at phaidros.com wrote:
>It's running, see:   http://www.gliebe.de/self/   :)
>
>This project uses code (mainly the i386 assembler and parts of the NIC) from
>an earlier Linux port started by Gordon Cichon in 1999.

I've been playing around with it (and reading all the Self papers I can find) for a
few weeks. I'd read a little about Self before, but this was the first chance I've had
to actually run it (many thanks to all involved!).

I'm very impressed. Morphic in Squeak makes more sense to me now after experiencing
the Self version, and I find the lack of classes and objects-are-just-collections-of-slots
aspects of Self to be very appealing.

I have a question about Self that I have anxious to post to the Squeak mailing list
(because I know there are people here with the right experience to answer it). I've
been wondering: what is wrong with Self? Why hasn't it taken over the world? :)

In many ways, Self seems like an improvement over Smalltalk, and I get the impression
that the "Programming as Experience" inspiration for Self has a lot to do with the
direction Squeak is headed. But, other than Morphic and "HotSpot(tm)", it looks like
many of the Self concepts have been ignored. Is it because it turns out to be hard to
organize a big system without classes? Is it because implementations exist for only a
few types of computers, so many people have never experienced it? Or is there
something else?

Ted