[VM][UNIX] SHA uploaded to SourceForge

Rob Withers rwithers12 at mediaone.net
Sun Jan 20 22:40:29 UTC 2002

At 05:25 PM 1/20/2002, Tim Rowledge wrote:
>"Lex Spoon" <lex at cc.gatech.edu> is widely believed to have written:
>
> > Okay, I've uploaded SHA to SourceForge.  This is convenient for
> > developers... and awkward for people who just want to compile the VM for
> > Unix.

thank you Lex.

>For those of you that don't know. SHA is Lex's name for his collection
>of unix vm extras and the makefile stuff altered to suit the latest
>VMMaker. So, if you use cvs to fetch the latest platform source code you
>will also needtofetch
>http://sumeru.stanford.edu/tim/pooters/SqFiles/deltas/VMMaker-3-2-version4.1.cs
>to go with it.
>
>NOTE NOTE NOTE
>I don't know whether or not the Mac and Windows makefiles are at the
>same stepping level. If they are not, it should be within reach of
>anyone likely to be messing with vm developing to alter the makefiles to
>find _internal_ plugins in src/vm/intplugins/fooplugin etc rather than
>just all smooshed into src/vm.

The windows code, on SF, is currently up to only VMMaker 3.1.3 standards.

Sure, anyone ought to be able to hand-code the plugins, but what about
automatically configuring them, without configure?  VM developer ~=
Makefile guru!  Riiight, Tim???  :)

> > We'll have to come up with some way to distribute snapshots....
>It has been noted previously that SF makes a frequent (daily?) tarball
>of all the sources. I wonder if it can be set to produce a tarball of
>suitably tagged releases so that there is a 'guaranteed' working set?

That's great, but shouldn't we use the File Release System of Source Forge,
to release stable source tarballs?  So the process is

1 cvs checkout platform,
2 QA it,
3 CVS tag it for branching and patching,    (unix-3-2-vmmaker-3-2-4-a1)
4 tarball it
5 upload it to SF
6 define package, define release, then add files to release
7 Hey!  It's on the summary page as a released file!  ...

that would work.

If we could get VMMaker in the update stream, then there would be no need
to tag the releases with the VMMaker version.

Cheers,
Rob