Learning Squeak

Doug Way dway at riskmetrics.com
Mon Jan 21 01:26:15 UTC 2002

Les Tyrrell wrote:

> From: David T. Lewis <lewis at mail.msen.com>
> >
> > <gripe>
> > Nonsense, the tools are not the problem. Posting classes with no class
> > comment and methods listed in the 'as yet unclassified' category is just
> > plain sloppy. It takes 10 minutes to write a comment and put methods into
> > meaningful categories, and it takes your readers many times that long
> > to figure out how things work if you don't bother.
> > </gripe>
>
> BAH!  I believe the tools can definitely have an impact.

I agree 100% with Les on this.  Making the comment appear by default will make it more obvious that one is being 'sloppy' by not including a comment.

Having the comment appear when selecting a class (below the class definition) was recently added to VisualWorks, and is an excellent idea.  It also says something like "THIS CLASS HAS NOT YET BEEN COMMENTED." if no comment exists.  (I'm not sure if this is exactly what Les' changeset does.)  I've thought about adding this feature myself to Squeak, but I never got around to it.

- Doug Way
  dway at riskmetrics.com