A documentation proposal (non HTML version)

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Mon Jan 21 02:07:08 UTC 2002

"Duane Maxwell" <dmaxwell at san.rr.com> is widely believed to have written:

> I will host a shared database of class and method comments.  Someone (not
> me) can modify the browser to make it trivial to submit comments to the
> database, and retrieve existing comments.  Submissions would require
> registration and authentication (to avoid insane people) and a throttle
> would control the rate of submissions to human scale (to avoid insane
> clients).  Access to the information in the database would be open and
> unrestricted, and transparent to the user of the modified browser.
Possibly interesting extensions:-
a) make sure that whenever a release is 'pickled' it picks up all
authenticated comments and thus makes the release as up to date as
possible. This will reduce traffic and improve the image - and be a sort
of mirror to boot.

b) how about making the same mechanism a door to larger documentation
(ie tutorials and general swiki info) of a system explanatory nature.
Class/method comments are deliberately local and cannot explain the
entire system or subsystem.

tim
The world will end in 5 minutes.  Please log out within ten minutes.