File system model (was: UnixFileDirectoryPlugin)

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Mon Jan 21 16:33:35 UTC 2002

> 	Squeak can be useful for low-level stuff, but I'm thinking most
> 	of the time that stuff will be platform-specific.
>
> That's why we have platform-specific implementations of generic features, no?

I don't think you are proposing that *all* platform-variant features
have a generic version?  For example, what is the generic version of
"add A to the Apple menu" or "set Foo=X in the registry" or "send a HUP
signal to process 1152"?

Assuming you agree, what criteria should be used to decide what is going
to be available Squeak-wide?  I've been arguing based on trying to
interpret Squeak's gestalt, which has to do with authoring and sharing
computer media.  We should have the minimum necessary to support that
gestalt, because larger requirements make porting harder.

> 	I use links, but I don't manage them from Squeak code.  I'm not sure
> 	what I would do from Squeak code with links.
>
> >From time to time I put together a directory for a class that contains
> a bunch of (file system) links to other tools, so that they can be run
> from that directory.  It would be nice to do this in Squeak rather than
> csh or the MacOS Finder.

Okay, good example.  But I think you'd be even happier with a
MacFileList, than with a generic FileList that can do just a little of
the stuff you'd like.  Surely once you start using Squeak in place of
Finder, you'll want to add other Finder-ish features as well, e.g.
modifying file properties?

I don't know much about Macs, but on Unix, I'd want a useful file
manager to (off the top of my head):

	1. handle hard links, too.

	2. handle permissions.

	3. handle creation and description of non-files such as device nodes.

	4. handle locking.

To do a good job, I think a fairly Unix-specific FileList would have to
be implemented.  Until then, I use my OS facilities to do manage files.

On the other hand, when I'm doing Squeaky things like publishing a
project, none of the above are useful.  I don't think symbolic links
would be all that useful, either.  Files are used in very simple ways in
Squeak, and I haven't run into a good reason to want more from them.

-Lex