[VM] What about changes like...

Noel J. Bergman noel at devtech.com
Mon Jan 21 21:24:02 UTC 2002

Les,

> I'm playing around with the Squeak 2.2 Embedded VM.

> I may want to change some things in the Interpreter or
> ObjectMemory to better support the way things work
> in the embedded world such as bits of object memory
> that are executed in ROM, or how the image gets "loaded".

If you are going to look at changes that permit excution from ROM, you might
want to look at some of the comments from Dan Ingalls and Andreas from last
summer about the state of the heap during execution.

I'm thinking that you'd want to be able to support multiple heap segments,
some of which would be read-only.  Things like adjustAllOppsBy: and the GC
wouldn't make sense on heap segments in ROM.  Add you'd still want to allow
a ROM-based entities to be changed, right?

Personally, I'd like to see such changes put into the mainstream VM, if they
could be done without a detrimental impact.

	--- Noel