Unix: update #4640 crash. Also,VMMaker problem.

Steve Swerling sps2000 at mail.com
Mon Jan 21 22:35:59 UTC 2002

Hi,

I tried to run the 3.2 gamma on my linux box, but it crashed. I went
back and discovered that the update that causes the crash is 4640. The
debug.log is appended.  I couldn't find any mail list postings where
anyone else had this crash. Hmmmm. Since this image runs fine in
Windows, I thought I'd try to update my unix vm. Ian's site has not been
updated since I orignally built my vm. So I tried lex' page -- it says
that snapshots are no longer available, to use vmmaker + the UnixVMMaker
patch to it. After doing this, I get a "message not understood" error
when trying to generate the core vm from VMMakerTool:
(VMMaker>>generateInternalPluginCore: is trying to call the method
#translateInDirectory:doInlining:locally: on the B3DEnginePlugin class).

The version of VMMaker that I found is VMMaker-3-2-version4.1.cs.

If there is a single plugin that needs to be generated from squeak to
get 4640 working, could someone let me know which one?

Thanks for any help.

Anyone else have a problem with #4640 on Unix? With the latest
VMMaker+UnixVMMaker?

==== debug log from trying to load #4640 ======
Error: Error: Bad BitBlt arg (Fraction?); proceed to convert.
21 January 2002 5:08:22 pm

VM: unix - Squeak3.0 of 4 February 2001 [latest update: #3446]
Image: Squeak3.2alpha [latest update: #4639]

BitBlt(Object)>>error:
	Receiver: a BitBlt
	Arguments and temporary variables:
		aString: 	'Error: Bad BitBlt arg (Fraction?); proceed to convert.'
	Receiver's instance variables:
		destForm: 	Form(6x6x16)
		sourceForm: 	DisplayScreen(832x508x16)
		halftoneForm: 	nil
		combinationRule: 	3
		destX: 	nil
		destY: 	nil
		width: 	6
		height: 	6
		sourceX: 	13
		sourceY: 	172
		clipX: 	0
		clipY: 	0
		clipWidth: 	6
		clipHeight: 	6
		colorMap: 	nil

[] in WorldState>>displayWorldSafely:
	Arguments and temporary variables:
		aWorld: 	a PasteUpMorph(1622) [world]
		oldHandler: 	nil
		errCtx: 	SystemWindow(Morph)>>fullDrawOn:
		errMorph: 	a SystemWindow(2447)
		err: 	'Error: Bad BitBlt arg (Fraction?); proceed to convert.'
		rcvr: 	a BitBlt

[] in BlockContext>>ifError:
	Arguments and temporary variables:
		errorHandlerBlock: 	[] in WorldState>>displayWorldSafely:
		lastHandler: 	nil
		val: 	nil
		activeProcess: 	a Process in
String(SequenceableCollection)>>copyFrom:to:
		errBlockArgs: 	2
		aString: 	nil
		aReceiver: 	nil
		ex: 	an Error

Error(Exception)>>handlerAction
	Receiver: an Error
	Arguments and temporary variables:
		na: 	1
		handler: 	[] in BlockContext>>ifError:
		returnValue: 	nil
	Receiver's instance variables:
		messageText: 	'Bad BitBlt arg (Fraction?); proceed to convert.'
		initialContext: 	BitBlt(Object)>>error:
		resignalException: 	nil
		handlerContext: 	BlockContext>>on:do:
		tag: 	nil
		activeHandler: 	nil

--- The rest of the stack ---
Error(Exception)>>signal
Error(Exception)>>signal:
BitBlt(Object)>>error:
BitBlt>>copyBits
FormCanvas>>contentsOfArea:into:
FormCanvas(Canvas)>>contentsOfArea:
[] in CornerRounder>>saveBitsUnderCornersOf:on:in:
Interval>>collect:
CornerRounder>>saveBitsUnderCornersOf:on:in:
CornerRounder
class>>roundCornersOf:on:in:displayBlock:borderWidth:corners:
FormCanvas>>roundCornersOf:in:during:
FormCanvas(Canvas)>>roundCornersOf:during:
SystemWindow(Morph)>>fullDrawOn:
FormCanvas(Canvas)>>fullDraw:
FormCanvas(Canvas)>>fullDrawMorph:
[] in WorldState>>drawWorld:submorphs:invalidAreasOn:
OrderedCollection>>do:
WorldState>>drawWorld:submorphs:invalidAreasOn:
[] in WorldState>>displayWorld:submorphs:
FormCanvas>>roundCornersOf:in:during:
FormCanvas(Canvas)>>roundCornersOf:during:
WorldState>>displayWorld:submorphs:
PasteUpMorph>>privateOuterDisplayWorld
PasteUpMorph>>displayWorld
[] in WorldState>>displayWorldSafely:
BlockContext>>on:do:
BlockContext>>ifError:
WorldState>>displayWorldSafely:
PasteUpMorph>>displayWorldSafely
PluggableTextMorph(Morph)>>refreshWorld
PluggableTextMorph>>update:
[] in TranscriptStream(Object)>>changed:
DependentsArray>>do:
TranscriptStream(Object)>>changed:
[] in TranscriptStream>>endEntry
[] in Semaphore>>critical:
BlockContext>>on:do:
[] in BlockContext>>valueUninterruptably
BlockContext>>on:do:
[] in BlockContext>>valueUninterruptably
BlockContext>>on:do:
BlockContext>>valueUninterruptably
BlockContext>>ensure:
Semaphore>>critical:
TranscriptStream>>endEntry
TranscriptStream>>show:
[] in ChangeSorter class>>newChangesFromStream:named:
BlockContext>>on:do:
[] in BlockContext>>valueUninterruptably
BlockContext>>on:do:
[] in BlockContext>>valueUninterruptably
BlockContext>>on:do:
BlockContext>>valueUninterruptably
BlockContext>>ensure:
ChangeSorter class>>newChangesFromStream:named:
Utilities class>>applyUpdatesFromDiskToUpdateNumber:stopIfGap:
UndefinedObject>>DoIt
-- and more not shown --