source forge update

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Tue Jan 22 07:21:00 UTC 2002

Note I'm just about to post changes to sourceforge regarding 64bit
file support and a bit of tuning around ioLoadFunction within the
fileplugin and socketplugin.

The major changes are:

a) Use of a squeak type for file offset versus off_t because on some
Unix like clones we've found off_t is 32bit where it should be 64bit.
Goodness knows how fseeko is defined but now we've a type for file
offsets so we can typedef by platform to either 32 or 64 bits
depending on what we can convince the underlying file system to do
for us.

b) Better feedback on the file primitives if you attempt to feed
really large integers into them but the system only supports 32bits
we do prim failed, versus silently truncating the numbers.

c) Better feedback on the 64bit conversion routines, prim failure if
one attempts to convert large integers to 64bit integers which might
only be 32bit integers because the compiler fails to support long
long. Also to handle the case where you attempt to stuff 100
factorial into a 64 bit integer, bad bad bad.

d) caching entry points for the AsyncFilePlugin, FilePlugin and
SocketPlugin usages of the security plugin. This greatly improves
performance especially when the security plugin is externalized and
not available.