[VM][UNIX] SHA uploaded to SourceForge

Cees de Groot cg at home.cdegroot.com
Tue Jan 22 09:27:21 UTC 2002

Rob Withers <rwithers12 at mediaone.net> said:
>>Not easy to do with CVS. With Trug, I tricked a bit by having a hidden file
>>and making sure it was modified before every CVS command; in this way, there
>>would be one file with a complete revision log I could query.
>
>That's an interesting approach.  It lived on the server, of course.  How
>did you hide it?  If I may ask you several other questions about
>this...Could you explain where that file lives/is named?  Did you setup a
>commit rule to add this log message to the file, from the server?  How
>would you get the file or query the file?

Trug was/is a shell around CVS. So it knew where the top of your working
copy was, and it simply wrote the current date/time to a '.trugstate' file
in the top-level directory before committing. That guaranteed it to be changed
w.r.t. the repository version, so .trugstate got a new version, any tags, and
the comments the developer entered.

>>BTW, given Subversion (see elsewhere), we might not want to invest too much
>>time in CVS wizardry. Seen there, been it, ate the t-shirt.
>
>Yes, but I would have to say that now is probably not the best time to go
>changing it again.  It's not my call, of course, but considerable time has
>been spent getting the VM into CVS.   Things are very close to really
>coming together and I think that should be finished, first.  In using it,
>over time, it may become clear that Subversion or even Glorp + MySQL would
>be of benefit to move over too.

Oh, I agree that for the time being CVS is the best option. But CVS
has severe limitations, and Subversion - given the guys working on it
and the, I think, reasonable architecture/technology behing it - will
quickly attract a lot of people, so IMHO if Squeak's to be outfitted with
some sort of native versioning system, CVS is not the right candidate;
Subversion looks a lot better, but Glorp+PostgreSQL or another 'start
from scratch on top of a reasonable persistence layer' approach also
would be reasonable.

Therefore, I'm just suggesting to do the simplest thing that sort of
works with CVS, until we all made up our mind on how to manage source
code with Squeak (who knows, SCAN might be all we need).

--
Cees de Groot               http://www.cdegroot.com     <cg at cdegroot.com>