Integrating the RegisteringFileList

ducasse ducasse at iam.unibe.ch
Tue Jan 22 14:18:23 UTC 2002

on 22/01/02 4:50 AM, Noel J. Bergman at noel at devtech.com wrote:

>>> Sounds like the same mechanism could be used to register protocol
> handlers
>>> for generalized URL support, and media handlers for MIME types.
>
>> This is just a registration mechanism which principle could apply to a lot
>> of things.
>
> Absolutely, and I was remiss in not making the point.

I know. In fact we people what to use the same approach to decouple classes
please do it.

> On the other hand, there are other patterns that can be used in differen
> situations.  For example, why could not the String>>asX methods be
> String:>>as: X, instead?  Something like: ^X class fromString: self.  Now we
> don't have to pollute String.

exact. I think that we have to define a core of classes that interact each
others. For those there is no probblem to use asX.  Then for the others we
should not use as...like asURL in String ;)

It would be better to have URL fromString: aString.

Stef