Squeak hogs sound driver on NT (repost)

john-reed.x.maffeo at mail.sprint.com john-reed.x.maffeo at mail.sprint.com
Tue Jan 22 15:33:13 UTC 2002

I have experienced a similar problem, but I
do not have to reboot to clear it, I only
have to quit and restart Squeak.

When I start Squeak, the first invocation of
playSound(??? doing this from memory) works.
After that all I get is a message saying
something about the device drive not being ready.

The message string that is displayed is not
present in the image i.e. full code scan = negative,
so I deduce the message is coming from outside.

Also the message is presented twice for each invocation
of the method.

Code analysis leads me to believe that the
problem is in the primitives - there are two.
One is called and if it fails the other is called.
That is why I get two messages, they both fail.

I am not using sound functionality right now, but
as  I use Morphic more it becomes annoying.

If anyone needs a detailed write up let me know
and I will recreate the problem and my analysis
and send it to you.

Please excuse my lack of correct reference, I
am at work and do not have an image handy, but
I thought the additional info may be of help.

John-Reed Maffeo