incompleteness

Craig Latta Craig.Latta at NetJam.ORG
Wed Jan 23 00:24:03 UTC 2002

> While there may be a kind of "incompleteness" property here as you
> suggest, it may be that it doesn't apply to any "reasonable" code
> (e.g. code that wasn't written with the purpose of behaving
> differently when receiving primitive objects).

	Right; and any particular implementation is designed in anticipation of
a particular notion of "reasonable". Then if something unreasonable
comes along (you get caught cheating), you can always expand the
illusion (with a more elaborate cheat). The systems you mentioned,
though, seem to support quite a lot... I plan to study them (in my
copious spare time, the greatest illusion of all :).

-C

--
Craig Latta
composer and computer scientist
craig.latta at netjam.org
www.netjam.org
crl at watson.ibm.com
"Time is an illusion; lunchtime doubly so."