Full-text search, performance results.

Cees de Groot cg at home.cdegroot.com
Wed Jan 23 09:48:04 UTC 2002

Scott A Crosby <crosby at qwes.math.cmu.edu> said:
>Then you trade memory for HD latency. In essence, you're doing the
>swapping to the drive manually. There isn't really any way to win.  I'm
>going for simplicity. 512mb isn't that much RAM. If you can index a large
>swiki, all the source code and the squeak mailing list going back 3 years
>in 300mb of RAM, is it worth the slowdown and complexity of diskbasing it?

Up to 1 gigabyte indexes, that'll work fine. I'll be a happy camper with just
that :-). The only thing is that you need to do an image save after each index
update, that's bound to be slow with a couple of hundred megs in the image,
not?

Oh well, DTSTTCPW and we'll refactor later :-)

--
Cees de Groot               http://www.cdegroot.com     <cg at cdegroot.com>