SqueakNOS - where's the site?

Stephen Pair spair at advantive.com
Wed Jan 23 15:25:59 UTC 2002

Cees wrote:
> If you're running the process at a low priority, and still it
> manages to prevent you from getting in there and killing it,
> it's probably doing an endless loop thingie in the Windows
> 'kernel' (their words, not mine ;-)). Or it is trashing
> heavily, but given Squeak's memory limit that shouldn't be
> possible (unless, again, there's a memleak in the kernel).

There's no disk activity at all.  My best guess is that either the VM is
in some tight loop repeatedly invoking win32 socket APIs, or it is truly
a bug in Windows.  Either way, I can't get into Squeak to debug what's
happening at the time it gets into this state.  I've added a monitor
that will just kill the Squeak process if it's not responding.
Hopefully it'll be able to get enough CPU cycles to work.

- Stephen