Moore's law and why persistence may not be necessary.

Cees de Groot cg at home.cdegroot.com
Wed Jan 23 17:21:25 UTC 2002

Bijan Parsia <bparsia at email.unc.edu> said:
>Of course, it's always possible to drop back to the old, very slow methods
>for machines with less RAM. But those tend to be the very machines that
>need the improvements the *most*.

The slowest machine I use is a PalmPilot. AFAIK, it has a unified
memory/filesystem not unlike a Smalltalk image.

>So, for such folks, upgrading the RAM means upgrading the whole
>machine.

Or backing store. If the object memory is accessed by memory-mapping a file
(possible on every box with an MMU, and that goes back to Macs so old you
cannot sensibly run Squeak on them) and you implement a copy-on-write scheme
for the dirty blocks, there are hardly any limits on the size of the image you
can use (of course, this necessitates some study about the behavior of the GC
w.r.t. locality).

>Of course, on a lot of those machines, you're working with very small
>datasets :) Although, having fast search on my iPaq would be sweet!

Said Pilot has some 30 books on it. And more. Is that a small dataset? ;-)

>For what it's worth, I've started on a MailMessageIndex and
>IndexAdaptor. Thus far, it's working spiffy. I was able, *easily* to
>substitute in and IndexFileEntry for the fulltext in the Index. Which
>means that this 1) can be used directly by Celeste with fairly minimal
>modifications and 2) it's not going to take a *hell* of a lot more memory
>than the current Celeste situation and 3) you get blazing full text
>searchs for that extra memory.

I hope that means there's a RFC822 parser/word splitter/indexer I can steal
for the Mailman indexing stuff? ;-)

--
Cees de Groot               http://www.cdegroot.com     <cg at cdegroot.com>