Subclassing Engines (was Re: Moore's law and why persistence may not be necessary. (fwd))

Bijan Parsia bparsia at email.unc.edu
Wed Jan 23 20:25:37 UTC 2002

On Wed, 23 Jan 2002, Bijan Parsia wrote:

[snip]
> That seems high, after niling all those things and gcing:
>
> 	memory		32,311,120 bytes
> 	old		28,114,280 bytes (87.0%)
> 	young		124,272 bytes (0.4%)
> 	used		28,238,552 bytes (87.4%)
> 	free		4,072,568 bytes (12.6%)
[snip]

After indexing 93.7 meg messages & gc.

	memory		58,577,984 bytes
	old		51,063,332 bytes (87.2%)
	young		39,320 bytes (0.1%)
	used		51,102,652 bytes (87.2%)
	free		7,475,332 bytes (12.8%)

self anyOf: #(bijan scott mark) finds 3641 messages in 131 milliseconds
(woohoo!)

self anyOf: #(from) finds 19868 messages (all of them, I think) in 13359
milliseconds (copying the set?? why copy the set? ah, something with the
unioning; yes)

I don't really want to run a full particpantHas: search :)

I'm trying to write out the index to disk using ReferenceStream along the
following lines:

	|rr|
	rr _ ReferenceStream fileNamed: 'EMAIL.fulltext'.
	rr nextPut: self.
	rr close.

At a 13 meg index this is going *painfully* slowly. I'm up to 143030
written out, though.

I suspect I should have just put message ids in the document
index. IndexFile already compactly serializes the index, and I *really*
only need the ids, I imagine. Might speed up the set copying/merging
too. Advice is welcome!

Cheers,
Bijan Parsia.