Weird Windows 2000 scheduling behaviour with Squeak VM

Peter Crowther peter.crowther at networkinference.com
Fri Jan 25 12:07:26 UTC 2002

> From: Andreas Raab [mailto:Andreas.Raab at gmx.de]
> The problem is simple: WinNT scheduling sucks.  I'm giving
> the main Squeak thread a minimal priority boost since it
> turns out that this does _wonders_ for sound generation and
> some other real-time activities.
>
> The fix is going to be a) allow for completely disabling the
> priority boost and/or b) make it dependent on Squeak being
> the active app.

You might also like to look at the scheduler-frobbing stuff at
http://www.sysinternals.com - some of the problems stems from the fact that
9x, NT Workstation and NT Server also have different behaviours, so knowing
*which* Windows OS you're running is a distinct advantage if you're going to
report a scheduling problem.  NT Workstation claws time back from
high-priority threads to give to lower-priority threads much more readily
than NT Server, for example.

		- Peter