Squeak VM, real-time I/O, and threading

Craig Latta Craig.Latta at NetJam.ORG
Fri Jan 25 23:12:02 UTC 2002

Hi--

> I guess the issue is how best to integrate [external] threads with
> the Smalltalk code that cares about the I/O.  Perhaps Craig has some
> ideas regarding Flow...

	There are some beginning ideas about this in the most recent Flow
release (1.2 beta, which one can now get again, from netjam.org/flow). I
got to pound on it in a serious way last year, when I implemented
support for a couple of other transports. The current (unreleased)
factoring is a lot more applicable to this sort of thing; I'd offer it
as a general approach.

	By the way, I plan to release the current source as Flow 3 beta
("Mississippi"), on 5 April.

> ...or someone else has some ideas about multithreading the interpreter
> so Smalltalk processes could be run on real threads (when available).

	I seem to recall Ian saying something about this a while ago.

	thanks,

-C

--
Craig Latta