Squeak practical use?

David N. Smith (IBM) dnsmith at watson.ibm.com
Mon Jan 28 20:35:17 UTC 2002

At 9:39 +0200 1/28/02, Yoel Jacobsen wrote:
>Hello all,
>
>   I'm a computer professional, doing system architecture and implementation of medium to large directory, messaging and other (mainly Solaris oriented) systems I have this inquiry sitting in the back of my head for a long while.
>
>    I do LOVE playing with Squeak and implemented some nice ideas (currently - ASN.1 encoder/decoder to form a basis for an LDAP implementation).
>
>   However, when it gets to practical, day to day programming I just fill that other languages (mainly - Python) is more practical. I can transfer my ideas into a running program in a short while.  When analyzing why it is so, I have reached the following conclusions:
>
>   ...SNIP...
>
>   So, the inquiry - Are you using Squeak for any practical use? Please tell me only about resource intensive applications (currency conversion does not count as a practical application).
>
>       Thanks,
>
>           Yoel

Yoel:

Does a large (10,000 lines of fileout) application, packaged to hide everything but the application, and in use by 7 year olds in a large school system count? (It's part of a study with another phase starting soon.) I hope to have details on my web site later this spring/summer; lawyers move slowly here.

Dave

--
David N. Smith
dnsmith at watson.ibm.com