Squeak practical use?We run the equity markets through it!

Bijan Parsia bparsia at email.unc.edu
Mon Jan 28 21:35:51 UTC 2002

On Mon, 28 Jan 2002, Mark Mullin wrote:

[snip]
> I'd argue that Squeaks plugin architecture + SLANG are far superior to other
> solutions I've used such as Java/IDL/COM/C++ <extinct>,CORBA <oh
> puh-lease>,etc,etc etc.  No one language does all things well, and it is
> true Smalltalk does iteration particularly badly.

*What*?!? It hink Smalltalk doe iteration *great* :) What many
*implementations* of Smalltalk don't do terrifically is a certain kind of
iteration over large datasets, out of the box.

That's hardly the same thing! :)

Few systems have as neat and wonder iteration constructs as Smalltalk,
IMHO, especially in conjunction with Collections.

For "non functional" type looping, I'm growing more and more to admire
Common Lisp's extended loop. A language for looping!

[snipped sensible advice about going to plugins]

And remember that many plugins can be fairly generic, e.g.,
IntegerArrays. I would be interested in a design for the kind of
processing that I never do, but y'all talk about :)

Cheers,
Bijan Parsia.