Squeak practical use?

Andrew C. Greenberg werdna at mucow.com
Mon Jan 28 23:35:40 UTC 2002

On Monday, January 28, 2002, at 08:11 AM, Yoel Jacobsen wrote:

> Andrew,
>      Thank you for your reply.
>      However, this only proves my point - your application fits
> perfectly into 'playing with ideas'. Have you ever tried to open 2GB
> database in squeak and make automatic analysis of the data? Another
> application I needed - construction of LDIF files for customer's
> existing data sources. It worked, but it was very slow and the image
> was not fun to touch in the (long) time it ran.

Depends what you mean.  I have manipulated GB-sized files in Squeak and
performed detailed analyses on it without cursing the darkness, yes.  I
have no idea what you mean by "make automatic analysis of the data,"
apart from automating an analyis.  Frankly, I don't do much work with
multi-GB datasets that aren't already in an RDBS.  The database, thus,
takes care of itself.

>    I don't say I don't like Squeak. I liked it a lot. I just feel it
> could be more suited to my type of 'real world problems'. On the other
> way you can claim that my feeling is based on the fact that I know
> Python better and longer. This might be true. What I wanted is to know
> on what extent the readers of this group do I/O and memory intensive
> tasks with Squeak.

It is possible that we simply have differing definitions of "real world
problems."  I also knew Python better and longer than I knew Squeak, but
once I moved over, I never looked back.  This said, notwithstanding the
fact that I represent Zope.

>    I don't think this discussion is a troll, though.   Yes, I can
> create a minimal image and run 'squeak minimal.image myscript' but it
> would not give me the advantage of managing a running process in my
> development image.

I have no idea what this last sentence has to do with practical use of
Squeak.