Squeak practical use?

Chris Muller afunkyobject at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 29 03:26:39 UTC 2002

Well, as a computer professional, it sounds like you
have a good feeling for the strengths and weaknesses
of Squeak.  If you want to manage underlying
operating-system processes then yes, Squeak or Java
are not good choices.

I think there is a section on the swiki that is
intended to answer your very question, this might be
it:  http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/532

I'm not sure what you mean by "resource intensive", or
whether there are any Squeak systems, but I do know of
a couple of Smalltalk systems in the past that might
be characteristic.  Texas Instruments automated
semiconducter manufactoring ("ControlWorks") in
VisualWorks.  The U.S. Dept. of Defense developed
"JWARS - Joint Warefare System" using VisualAge.  I've
heard these are neat, real-time systems but don't know
much about them.

Perhaps the neatest things from Squeak are yet to
come.