[Challenge] large files smart compare (was: Re: Squeak for I/O and Memory Intensive tasks )

Cees de Groot cg at home.cdegroot.com
Tue Jan 29 15:49:16 UTC 2002

Yoel Jacobsen <yoel at emet.co.il> said:
>    My problem is not reading the file by the object collection
>persistence. Using memory for 500000 of my objects isn't practical. I
>think I only need a good persistence manager (Objectivity for Squeak
>anyone?)

Male bovine animal excrement. For a stand-alone filemunging job you don't need a
persistence manager, you can just write the 10 lines of code to dump stuff on
disk and read it back. I haven't looked at your problem (I'm supposed to be
pairprogramming at the moment ;-)) but it shouldn't be too hard to come with
some object swapping technique that makes your thing run in near-constant
memory.

--
Cees de Groot               http://www.cdegroot.com     <cg at cdegroot.com>