[Challenge] large files smart compare (was: Re: Squeak for I/O and Memory Intensive tasks )

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Tue Jan 29 21:01:19 UTC 2002

>On Tue, 29 Jan 2002 15:57:39 +0200 Yoel Jacobsen <yoel at emet.co.il> wrote:
>>Oddly, It takes now only 23 sec.
>>
>  >This is an ASUS L8400C Notebook with PIII 850MHz with 384MB RAM.
>From the Spy output:
>
>Ah, a notebook! Some notebook users have reported performance
>problems due to the processor going into low-power mode after a
>while. There is a preference (created for the Mac, but *may* work
>for windows) to disable this. See #turnOffPowerManager in the
>performance section. Or see if your OS allows you to override the
>power-saver feature, try that.

As far as I know no-one has added power manager features to the
windows or any other VM. On the mac if you have an unplugged
powerbook, or a plugged in powerbook with energy saving on then
depending on the machine *and* the OS version, the CPU will be clock
slowed, or stop for N milliseonds when there is no keyboard, modem or
network activity. The turnOffPowerManager logic taps the macintosh
power manager to tell it run at full speed I don't care about battery
life. Usually these performance issues show up as stutter in sound
playback, or morphic animation jerkyness.

Mm I think those whiz-bang 850MHz speedstep cpus step down to 500Mhz?
Let alone nap or something else more drastic.

Mmm Also I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned presizing those
dictionaries, versus having the collection grow as you add things.