[Challenge] large files smart compare (was: Re: Squeak for I/O and Memory Intensive tasks )

Jon Hylands jon at huv.com
Tue Jan 29 21:28:25 UTC 2002

On Tue, 29 Jan 2002 13:01:19 -0800, John M McIntosh
<johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com> wrote:

> Mmm Also I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned presizing those
> dictionaries, versus having the collection grow as you add things.

Tried, neither makes much difference. The big hit is Bag operations, which
is why I suggested moving to an OrderedCollection, which basically cut the
time almost in half. The next big hit was to stop doing so many Dictionary
lookups. The way he was doing it, he was doing three times as many lookups
as were required.

I suspect the next big win will come from parsing the key/value pairs
directly from the file.

Later,
Jon