Next chapter on SqueakDot!

goran.hultgren at bluefish.se goran.hultgren at bluefish.se
Wed Jan 30 12:29:56 UTC 2002

Wow, I am awed with all the interest! If only for that, is was worth
doing this "publish" so early when almost nothing works. ;-)

New since yesterday
========================

1. Added "My SqueakDot" - the account page. This is where you can access all the state of your personal instance of SDAccount living in the server.

2. Added checkpointing of accounts. Each account gets a filedirectory on the server and in that directory the instance of SDAccount is stored as an export ImageSegment.

3. Added revert to last checkpoint. When the server restarts it loads the accounts from the last checkpoint.

4. Added the analysis page which uses ImageSegments to present some info about the structure etc.

Checkpointing together with Image saves will have to do for now as persistence mechanism. Checkpointing of accounts should be automatic regularly. Image save likewise. It's simle and sure, the server can loose stuff since it doesn't secure it to secondary storage right away, but this is a compromise making it very easy to add new objects to the SDAccount without having to think about storage.

Coming up next
==================

Let me make my little charter for the ultra near future, I want you all to be in the loop:

1. First I am adding simple Polls so that the site actually can be useful. Thats good. :-)
2. Improve the architecture a little bit hiding the HTML somewhat.
3. Post it all as neat changesets for 3.2 on the list for anybody to tinker with at home.
4. Focus on getting the "development" stuff working - enable SqueakDot for
multiple developers. The idea is to get all you guys in there ASAP because that will boost this thing I think.

1-3 might be done today if I am lucky. Or at least tomorrow. Number 4 is the one I really would like help with. Please - help me and come up with improvements to my draft on that. :-)

What I would like SqueakDot to become

1. A playground for the HttpView framework. I want everything to be inspectable (like the links to the source on the pages etc).

2. A place for different webbased services to the Squeak community. First out is support for Polls since we have had trouble conducting those on the mailinglist. Other things that comes to mind is something similar to Freshmeat (catalog of Squeak modules) or some sort of simple task management for SqF etc. One thing that I do NOT think that SqueakDot should do though is to have forums (like Slashdot has, which may suggest that the name was pretty stupid...) because I do not want to compete with the mailinglist. This is IMPORTANT. The mailinglist should continue to be the heart of the community IMHO.

3. Experiment in highly concurrent development in Squeak. My little draft on that is still sketchy but I want to mimic the directness of a Wiki/Swiki in Squeak development. It should be very easy to add a feature to the site for anyone capable of doing so and being trusted with a developer username and password (which you can't get just like that) and there should be no "review bottlenecks".

Ok, over and out.

regards, Göran