AW: [modules] Top 10 ways in which the modules system sucks

Andreas Raab Andreas.Raab at gmx.de
Wed Jan 30 15:57:15 UTC 2002

Henrik,

> Just to anticipate a certain category of comments ;-)

You forgot the #1 issue: Filing in old classes is broken ;-) I got a DNU
attempting to file in a class which probably wasn't quite module clean.
Here it is:

Object subclass: #MumbleObject
	instanceVariableNames: ''
	classVariableNames: 'MumbleClassVar'
	poolDictionaries: 'TextConstants'
	category:'Foo-Bar'!

!MumbleObject methodsFor: 'mumbling' stamp: ''!
doMumble
	^ByteArray new! !

[Notice it fails on looking up ByteArray which I _really_ don't
understand]

> - Things are probably broken in the existing code base. Some
> parts most certainly are broken: Alice/Wonderlands use pool variables
> in a way that really isn't supposed to work, now it propbably doesn't.

I'll fix that if you can give me a few hints at what to look for.

> - Image modularity. I have only been able to make the
> VMConstruction module, and Balloon3D (almost), unloadable.

Will fix that too if you let me know what the current problems are.

Cheers,
  - Andreas