meta-level code organization (RE: [Q] mixin pattern - how to use an alternate Behavior for Class)

Rob Withers rwithers12 at mediaone.net
Thu Jan 31 04:14:37 UTC 2002

At 03:34 AM 1/30/2002, you wrote:
>Hey Rob,
>

>Yes, I agree and I really enjoyed talking with you about these
>"meta-things". It's amazing, but whenever I get back into the "ST-80
>meta-world", it takes me some mind-work until I completely understand it
>again. (And I have already thought about it many times). This fact gives me
>the feeling that the class and meta-level organization of ST-80 is not as
>easy as it should be. I hope I'll find the time to work on it at some
>point...

Hi Nathanael,

Thank you for showing me the way to clarity.  I also enjoyed it.  I alsways
kinda knew about the metaclass-class structure and the inheritance
structure, but I wasn't feeling it.  I am now.

What is your feeling for the ease of manipulating a shared prototype
environment like Self.  I don't have any experience with it.  In trying to
get my Mixin class to show up in the Browser, along with knowing that
delegation would solve this mixin problem as well, I keep wondering how a
delegative model would be browsed and searched and displayed.   I also
wonder how we could mix the two models, yet have a consistent browsing
experience.  Does Self even have a 'class' browser?

Cheers,
Rob