Impacts of the squeak garbage collector

Ken Kahn kenkahn at toontalk.com
Thu Jan 31 04:33:45 UTC 2002

Tim Rowledge  wrote:

> That was once a serious suggestion in a paper I read; the suggestion was
> that virtual memory solved the problem since all you had to do was page
> out garbage. Slight problem with the (then extant) data rates & disk
> sizes - Smalltalk would have filled the disk in a few minutes :-)
>
> It might take a little longer these days, but still not long enough to
> be interesting, I think.

You are probably talking about

Jon L. White. Address/memory management for a gigantic Lisp environment or,
GC considered harmful. In Proceedings of the ACM Symposium on Lisp and
Functional Programming (Stanford, California, August 1980), ACM, pp.
119--127.

As I remember JonL didn't fill up disks since seldom accessed memory went
"off-line" onto backup tapes.

Best,

-ken kahn ( www.toontalk.com )