Dynamic system memory use

Derrick Coetzee dc at moonflare.com
Wed Jan 30 14:16:53 UTC 2002

I don't know a lot about this, so I might be misunderstanding the way it
works, but it seems to me like Squeak takes a fixed size chunk of system
memory on startup and then hands it to its own internal memory managers
to do its own allocation scheme. If this is right, then this would have
to be one of my primary complaints about Squeak; even the simplest, most
stripped down program can take a large amount of memory, and, more
importantly, a program that cannot anticipate beforehand how much memory
it will need is unable to dynamically use only as much of the system
memory as necessary (hurts runtime scalability).

Is there a solution to this in Squeak or is this a design issue?

-Derrick Coetzee