[modules] Reducing the image size by 38% and 50%

Henrik Gedenryd h.gedenryd at open.ac.uk
Thu Jan 31 17:15:06 UTC 2002

Hannes Hirzel wrote:

> I hope this information helps.
>

> Hannes Hirzel

Thanks! Yes it did. I should have thought of the change sets myself.

> The basic conclusion is that you have to do your own version of "Smalltalk
> majorShrink".

Well, a submenu for world menu/help/shrinking the image, with these commands
as menu items, and good balloon help, would go a long way. (Module unloading
will handle the code stripping part.) And perhaps an item putting up a
window with some instructive help text. Much like some of the text on your
swiki page.

I'd strongly vote it for inclusion ;-)

And

  ChangeSorter removeChangeSetsNamedSuchThat:
      [:aName | (aName = Smalltalk changes name) not]

is slightly more general, Smalltalk changes is the active cs.

> Methods of the Smalltalk object (an instance of SystemDictionary which discard
> code:
>
> SystemDictionary selectors asSortedCollection do: [:s | (s asString
> beginsWith: 'discard') ifTrue: [Transcript show: s printString; cr]].
>
> gives
>
> #discard3D

Type 'discard', select it, do cmd-W.  (Browse all selectors that include
'discard')

Quite a bit easier...

Henrik