Squeaky Gimp

Philip Knodle pknodle at bu.edu
Mon Jul 1 16:46:29 UTC 2002

On Mon, 1 Jul 2002, Aaron wrote:

> On Mon, 1 Jul 2002, Hans-Martin Mosner wrote:
>
> > Philip Knodle wrote:
> > > Has anyone done any work with hooking Squeak up with the Gimp?
> > > Thanks,
> > > Philip Knodle
> > >

> > Given the lack of responses, maybe nobody has.
> > You might get some help if you tell us what exactly you're trying to achieve.
> > 'Hooking up' by itself does not mean enough.
>
> Made sense to me.  I assume he means "Can Squeak be used in the same way
> Scheme and Perl can be used for script-fu?"

That is pretty much what I meant.

> Short answer: no, it can't- not yet at least.
>
> Long answer:
> Unfortunately, the answer is still no.  The as far as I've read about it
> (which isn't that much), the Script-Fu API is quite clean.  One could
> fairly easily whip up a SOAP server in perl that exposes the API to
> Squeak, and any other SOAP-capable language.

I'm writing a FFI to the basic c code that script-fu and perl use.  I'll
be able to call gimp from smaltalk, but I don't think I'll be able to
call smalltalk from gimp in any easy way.

I'm looking to be able to edit images in the gimp and us them in squeak
in a fairly clean programtic way.

-Phil