Squeaky Gimp

Aaron reic0024 at d.umn.edu
Mon Jul 1 19:16:10 UTC 2002

On Mon, 1 Jul 2002, Lex Spoon wrote:

> Aaron <reic0024 at d.umn.edu> wrote:
>
> > Long answer:
> > Unfortunately, the answer is still no.  The as far as I've read about it
> > (which isn't that much), the Script-Fu API is quite clean.  One could
> > fairly easily whip up a SOAP server in perl that exposes the API to
> > Squeak, and any other SOAP-capable language.
>
> There is a SOAP add-on for Squeak.  Perhaps that would work?

Yup, which is why I suggested it.  There could easily be a perl-fu plug-in
written that accepted SOAP requests from Squeak, and a SOAP server and
client running in Squeak (Squeak server may be unnec, but perhaps for
callbacks in to Squeak).

> How is the connection handled, though?  Isn't SOAP normally used over
> HTTP?  Is gimp making TCP/IP connections?

Yes, SOAP is over HTTP. Gimp itself wouldn't be making the SOAP
requests (and thus TCP/IP connections), but the perl plugin would.  A
perl-fu script in the GIMP has access to all the regular perl functions
and packages, including SOAP::Lite, which can be used for constructing
Perl SOAP servers and clients.

Aaron