log me in!

Ian Piumarta ian.piumarta at inria.fr
Tue Jul 2 19:49:14 UTC 2002

Folks,

This weekend, in spite of the significant risk of dragging Squeak kicking
and screaming back into the mid-1970s, I thought I'd have some fun with
terminal emulation and network protocols (telnet in particular).

If you have a set of Unix 3.2-2 (or devel) sources and are willing to suck
in a new sqUnixSocket.c and recompile then you might like to play with
this:

  http://www-sor.inria.fr/~piumarta/squeak/goodies.html

Kilometrage may vary on Mac/Win depending on precisely what, if anything,
they do with out-of-band (aka "urgent-mode") data arriving at a socket.
(Nothing should break horribly but you might see occasional garbage bytes
due to data mark commands being misinterpreted as client data and/or
connections might get closed prematurely when the remote end sends OOB
data -- kind of annoying in Emacs, since ^G causes precisely this to
happen. ;)

Cheers,

Ian

PS: There's a screenshot at:
        http://www-sor.inria.fr/~piumarta/squeak/devel/telnet.gif

PPS: If anyone knows how to get a SystemWindow to resize according to its
     contents (rather than trying to force its contents to resize
     according to its bounds) then send me some email.  It's driving me
     crazy.