Do some good for the world; make M$ irrelevant

Joshua 'Schwa' Gargus schwa at cc.gatech.edu
Wed Jul 3 01:34:01 UTC 2002

On Tue, Jul 02, 2002 at 04:17:04PM -0700, Tim Rowledge wrote:
> Take a look at
> http://www.viridiandesign.org/notes/301-350/00320_global_civil_society.html
> and consider what we might be able to do with Squeak. But do it quickly
> before it is unlawful...

I'm not sure what Squeakers can do to stop Microsoft from pushing a
hardware standard on us, although if you have any suggestions, I'm all
ears.  It doesn't seem to be primarily a software issue.

What we need is an alternative hardware platform.  Fortunately, it is
likely that such a thing will still exist even if AMD and Intel bend
over for MS.  China makes a lot of the motherboards nowadays, and they
are properly distrustful of the NSA/CIA/FBI backdoors that are almost
certainly built into Windows.  With over a billion people, they're a
big enough market that VIA will probably produce a version of their
x86 CPU without MS DRM built in.

Even if they don't, we still have an ace in the hole with people like
Jecel working on custom FPGA solutions for OO languages.

Does anyone with more imagination have a more direct way to Squeak
our way to Freedom?

Joshua