3.2 gamma handoff

Blaine Buxton blainebuxton at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 3 22:56:11 UTC 2002

Hey,
Not to beat any dead horses, but is there any chance to include Ned Konz's
Ctrl/Alt switch preference code into 3.2 final? I know the whole modifier
key debate is pretty hot, but I think it's a wonderful compromise and it
will probably be the first fileIn into every image that I have from now
on...=)

Whisker would be nice too, but I digress..=)

I've been using 3.2gamma quite a bit and I have no other complaints...=)

Love and Squeaking,
Blaine

>From: Scott Wallace <scott.wallace at squeakland.org>
>To: squeak-dev at lists.squeakfoundation.org
>CC: Dan at Squeakland.org
>Subject: Re: 3.2 gamma handoff
>Date: Wed, 03 Jul 2002 13:55:56 -0700
>
>So 3.2 "final" is very close now, and this is a final call for complaints,
>suggestions, and problem reports.
>
>Andrew kindly sent wording for the rights/openness paragraph.
>
>I have been fleshing out and proofreading the contents of the ReadMe and
>Welcome windows.
>
>Nobody has mentioned any issues regarding the 3.2gamma4 image recently
>posted, so at this point that 3.2gamma4 represents *precisely* the code
>base of the putative 3.2-final release, and 3.2-final will primarily differ
>from 3.2gamma4 only in the contents of the first-screen windows, plus
>having had a few standard last-minute-cleanup expressions evaluated.
>
>Indeed, there has been no feedback whatsoever regarding 3.2gamma4, leaving
>me uncertain whether this represents "gamma burnout" -- i.e., nobody is
>using it -- or whether this bespeaks a satisfied community of gamma4 users
>who can attest to the absence of gotchas.
>
>If *anybody* out there has used 3.2gamma4 and has any experiences to
>report, positive or negative or neutral, I would really appreciate hearing
>from you -- off-list is fine, unless there are issues worth bringing to the
>attention of the mailing list.
>
>Thanks,
>
>   -- Scott
>

>At 12:03 AM -0700 6/29/02, Dan Ingalls wrote:
>>Folks -
>>
>>[I'm about to leave town]
>>
>>I have incorporated the last updates I knew of (incl a couple JMM
>>suggested that were required to compile a new VM on some platforms), have
>>brought in an old copy of readme.txt, and have written a short word of
>>caution to folks who should be at SqueakAlpha, not in Squeak.
>>
>>I consider this final in code but not in appearance (please don't be
>>shocked by the mess on screen).  It needs...
>>
>>1.  The readme to be updated (flaps and UI prefs at least) and combined
>>with the Getting Started text
>>
>>2.  A proper statement about rights and openness from Andrew, to go in the
>>welcome window (probably at the end)
>>
>>3.  Ted to fix the SqC image whose URL appears in the welcome window, and
>>it needs a good URL for Flash demo (suggestions??).
>>
>>I have placed the latest image on UIUC as Squeak3.2gamma3.zip (I used
>>Squeak to zip it, thanks for the encouragement).
>>
>>I have spoken with Scott Wallace who says he is willing to do the final
>>laying on of hands to finish this up.
>>
>>If you have easily-implemented suggestions about the appearance of, or
>>text to go in, the first-screen windows, please relay them promptly to
>>Scott.
>>
>>I will continue to be in touch be e-mail, though unable to do much of
>>substance from here on.  Scott knows this stuff well, and will probably do
>>a better job that I at putting this baby in truly final form.

> [...]
Blaine Buxton
http://www.mp3.com/blainebuxton
http://home.kc.rr.com/bbuxton
"Think right and you can fly,
The kingdom of heaven is within"-George Clinton