3.2 gamma handoff

Steve Elkins sgelkins at bellsouth.net
Thu Jul 4 01:55:42 UTC 2002

Scott Wallace <scott.wallace at squeakland.org> writes:

> If *anybody* out there has used 3.2gamma4 and has any experiences to
> report, positive or negative or neutral, I would really appreciate
> hearing from you -- off-list is fine, unless there are issues worth
> bringing to the attention of the mailing list.

Thanks for taking care of the handoff.

Took 3.2gamma4 for a spin this evening, just a few things I think
might be worth mentioning...

The thumbnails in the Tools flap don't match the tools.  The
thumbnails have the classic look and the tools have the alternative
(white background) look.  But I have deeper complaint, that changing
the look (theme) doesn't change the thumbnails.  I used to destroy and
restore flaps to work around this.  Lately "PartsBin initialize" is
what's required.

I'm testing on Unix (OpenBSD) with X of course (window manager is
BlackBox) with Ian's 3.2.2 VM (built right out of the tarball except
for ranlib on all the .a's).  When I use the WM controls to go almost
fullscreen (there's a little WM gizmo at the bottom I've told to stay
on top) Squeak becomes weirdly unresponsive (hard to get the World
menu up) until I use Alt-r to force a redraw, sometimes even that
doesn't help.  I wouldn't bother to mention this (I bet I'm the only
one with this peculiar combination) except I've been using a
3.2gamma-4889 image for a week or 2 without ever seeing this.  Maybe
something's changed.

Alt-o brings up the Objects tool in the 4889 image (just like the menu
says) but it brings up a Workspace in gamma4.  Alt-k in 4889 opens a
Workspace (like the menu says) but in gamma4 it opens a font menu.
Alt-t and Alt-b work the same in the 2 images.

That's it for now.  If I get a chance tomorrow, I'll push it around
some more.

Cheers,
Steve

--
"Life to you is a bold and dashing responsibility"
		-- a Mary Chung's fortune cookie