3.2 gamma handoff

Steve Elkins sgelkins at bellsouth.net
Thu Jul 4 09:59:08 UTC 2002

Scott Wallace <scott.wallace at squeakland.org> writes:

> Actually, this was intentional, and only achieved after a certain
> amount of delicate effort.  To my eye, the characteristic colors of
> the tools do not exhibit themselves strongly enough when the icons
> are made from the alternate window look -- the icons look insipid,
> and do not whisper their function loudly enough to be easily heard.
> I wonder what others' opinions are about this.

Ahhh.  I may be misremembering, but I think I went hunting for the
icon cache in the 4889 image because I *wanted* thumbnails with the
classic look and it had alternate look thumbnails.  We agree about the
insipid appearance of alternate look thumbnails (I would go even
further).  Balancing UI design imperatives is tough for me.  In
general, I want thumbnails to be likenesses of the things they
represent, but icons need to be easily distinguished.

> A more direct UI is also available for resetting the icon cache --
> look in the halo menu of the Objects Tool.

Thanks, I see it.

[...]
> This is what happened when you hit alt-o -- some text window must have
> been retaining the keyboard focus, so alt-o was fielded by that text
> window, which interpreted it as a "spawn" request.

OK, I'll set mouseOverForKeyboardFocus in gamma4.

Keep up the good work,
Steve

--
It is impossible to travel faster than light, and certainly not
desirable, as one's hat keeps blowing off.