Will StrongTalk revitalize Smalltalk ?

Marcus Denker marcus at ira.uka.de
Thu Jul 4 13:48:45 UTC 2002

On Thu, Jul 04, 2002 at 10:10:59PM +1000, Peter Goodall wrote:
> Maybe we could ask the squeakers if they would move their mailing
> list into a newsgroup where the activity would be easily seen.
>
> The list is busy, and as a newsgroup it would help counter those that
> say Smalltalk is evidently ailing by the low number of news posts.

Please not! We discussed this *many* times in the past, we don't
want a newsgroup.

The discussion was about visibility. The website looks dead, that's true.
But usenet isn't the solution.

What about a slashdot-like news page. We could put up every little thingy
that gets done (e.g. new snapshots that get posted, pointers to good
articles on the Mailinglist, new goodies, ...).
So everyone visiting squeak.org would at once could see that "lots of
stuff is happening".

Who'd like to help setting something like that up?
(It doesn't need to be in Squeak... zope/php would be fine. Göran, is
squeakdot in a usable state?)

             Marcus

--
Marcus Denker marcus at ira.uka.de  -- Squeak! http://squeakland.org