The future of this list. (Was: Will StrongTalk...)

Jerzy Karczmarczuk karczma at info.unicaen.fr
Fri Jul 5 09:32:11 UTC 2002

Marcus Denker wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 04, 2002 at 10:10:59PM +1000, Peter Goodall wrote:
> > Maybe we could ask the squeakers if they would move their mailing
> > list into a newsgroup where the activity would be easily seen.

> Please not! We discussed this *many* times in the past, we don't
> want a newsgroup.

While I have no strong views on the subject, I would like to signal
that the population on this mailing list changes, and the external
context changes as well. When some months ago I posted a question,
I was politely reminded that I should prefix the subject with some
symbols permitting to identify this as a question. Another tag for
announcement, etc. Well, this poor-man threading is hardly a
satisfactory way to prevent the waste of time of the readers who do
not want to read particular sets of messages.

You *cannot* dismiss the issue just by saying that it has been already
discussed and rejected. It took place quite a time ago, I don't remember
even when. Jim Benson is also against nsgrouping this list, giving as
a catastrophic example the smalltalk newsgroup. Well, yes, I know some
people including myself who don't read it anymore... On the other hand,
surprisingly, the Python newsgroup seems to work well, although the
amount of rubbish on it is frightening...

> But usenet isn't the solution.
>
> What about a slashdot-like news page.
[etc.]

> We could put up every little thingy
> that gets done (e.g. new snapshots that get posted, pointers to good
> articles on the Mailinglist, new goodies, ...).

More people contributed to this thread: Tim Rowledge, Frank Sergeant, etc.
They are against newsgroups as well.

Why not HyperNews? This is a stable, working system, combining the messaging
and the persistent "article" pages. There are also other cooperative projects
but more structured than Wikis, e.g. COW, etc.

Jerzy Karczmarczuk
Caen, France