(no subject)

au miau squeak at abv.bg
Fri Jul 5 14:09:08 UTC 2002

I search the right way to do things in programming
for a long time (and i have even the Fortran experience
-IV(no 77)) .At the end i come to that definition for
a good programmer :"A man who can solve any (solvable)
problem starting at ground zero somewhere under assembler
on any kind of computer arcitecture". My pre-last deffinition
was: "Outstanding Smalltalk (or CLOS)programmer"-i'll explain
why i drop that deffinition later.

So, Alan Kay wrote:

 "
    Well, I think this is a confusion with "objects" and some of today's
    "object-oriented systems". In the "Early History of Smalltalk" paper
    I wrote back in '93, I seem to remember pointing out that the first
    three principles of objects that came to me in '66:
         * Everything is an object
         * Objects communicate by sending messages (which thus must be objects)
         * Objects can remember (memory thus via objects)
    had stood the test of time.
 "

"No vay Hoze"!!! When last time matematicians talk so careless for that
what they called "Sets" (then this was the new foundation of their field
same like "Objects" are foundation of programming now) they see what the
result is they got a funny situation - known from these times as "Crisis
in Foundations(of math)"(hint Russel's paradox and others you can get the
same with Objects with that "Theory of Objects")

1.This is an important problem!I think it is second time in Smalltalk
and there is still no good answer what a higher order "obects" are
in Smalltalk .
Messages are not objects for sure they could be but they are not necessarily
"objects"! Classes and Metaclasses are not Obcects too!
You can reply now that abstract math is not that you are interested ,
that objects are not sets or that computing happens in finite domain
and there are no paradoxes . But first i like Smalltalk because it
separates computer's brain and human brain and that you can use a
Smalltalk program like a proof even if you can execute it and second
why to replise computer logic with another non human logic ?

2.At 60-ies A.Grothendieck had the same problem with categories, functors
and so on (i.e. functor categories) at his famous "Seminair de Geometrie
Algebrique du Boi Marie " (widely known like SGA 1 to 4)- i think it is
something like XX sentury "Elements" . He solved the problem introducing
Universes so if we think the class Object like something really very large
a Grothendieck Univers analogy is obvious and that explains why Class and
other subclass Object. I think that Grothendieck Universes are great
invention that infact turn mathematics to more relative or using Derrida
words deconstructive spirit . . .but the problem is that no one use universes
now .I think most mathematicians think them unnatural and complex(definition
is just 4 lines not very difficult to understand )
So my question is :Is object oriented programing just a (bad name for)
category theory a la Grothendieck ?

3.Categories in math and your Classes do the same thing define a lower order
things(objects in both cases) with higher order things . . . . unfortunately
in both cases there is ifinite tower of metalevels and there is noting
special in order 2 (objects(sets) are level 0 . . .) "Everything is an object"
means "I can forget higher level structures " In mathematics that is
"decategorification" and there is of course "categorification" no one of these
is doable in uniqe way, so it is subject of study . . .in Smalltalk you know
solution of everithing from 30 years .

4.I can't wait to see mixed objects which are partialy Object partialy Class
and partialy Metaclass .Part of ideas some of you express means that it could
be possible. I have no idea how such objects will be debuged but it will be
pretty funy...

I come to Squeak 4 years ago , i was very very impressed because i understand
that Alan Kay found the way to express category theoric thinking at a time
i was just born . and my heart was full of respect and admiration ....
and my expectations about how good you are was highest i ever had .
But your idea about how good you are is really otside the limits of my world.
I found here a man (L.R.) not brave enough to said to me that he thinks that
i'm a jurk but brave enough to have ice cold heart and no respect to cause
of paralised children ... and no one to say him it's not good.

At the end it was my mistake to ask for a permision to have my project on SqF
so i use the case to withdraw it .