Do some good for the world; make M$ irrelevant

Stéphane Rollandin hepta at zogotounga.net
Fri Jul 5 19:05:31 UTC 2002

>The way the Black Hats (and really, truly, they are out there, though
>fotunately not completely in control yet) will try to have this work
>is:-
>hardware _must_ be compliant with DRM stuff.
>somebody gets to 'certify' software as 'trusted'.
>nobody is allowed a certificate for a compiler except 'authorised'
>software houses.
>
>End result - you won't be able to make your own software. And it's all
>for your own protection. Just like '1984'. Or the soviet union in it's
>wettest dreams.

yes, this is dwelling in the realm of dreams and nightmares... I don't see
how possibly such a control may come to exist. seems to me like a new "war
against ...", and all those wars failed.

do you play go ? it's a deep and profound stategic game, and there's a very
basic principle that a new player learn quickly: if you want all the
territory, you will loose. I think this is pretty general.

Stef