Do some good for the world; make M$ irrelevant

Luciano Notarfrancesco lnotarfrancesco at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 5 21:49:25 UTC 2002

Robert Anton Wilson says that the internet and
multimedia revolution is in fact a psychedelic
revolution, only that at this time computers are more
socially aceptable in America than drugs.

In 1970 the Comprehensive Drug Abuse Prevention and
Control Act was passed, and the Controlled Substance
Act placed LSD together with most hallucinogens in
Schedule I. The same year Leary was convicted and
sentenced to 20 years in jail.

Is that what's waiting for us? Are we destined to
become outlaws?

Judging by the long history of security bugs in
Microsoft (and non-Microsoft) products, I'm sure it
will be easy to tamper any DRM device to run anything
you want on it, but it will be illegal. And perhaps
we'll have the knowledge to do this, but the average
man will not, and he'll need to recurr to us. As I see
it, we can only hope the US will never declare "War On
Hackers" or "War On Piracy". Either that, or try to
stop this now.

Luciano.-

Stephen Pair wrote:
> Cees,
>
> I think you're being a bit hysterical here.  The
good news is that the
> US has a fairly good track record of correcting
legislative mistakes.

> But, aside from that, you have to look at where the
demand is.  If there
> is demand, that demand will be satisfied, even if
you have to resort to
> the black market.  Matter of fact, laws are almost
irrelevant in
> determining what goods and services are available to
you.  Hopefully, we
> won't have to start buying our computer chips on the
black market, but
> at least you can rest assured that they'll be
available.

> - Stephen

=====
http://community.corest.com/~luciano
CCB0 B2B0 BCCB 8178 CA8B  4C08 AE9B D2F2 E9CC E897