The future of this list. (Was: Will StrongTalk...)

Marcus Denker marcus at ira.uka.de
Sat Jul 6 09:39:17 UTC 2002

On Fri, Jul 05, 2002 at 11:32:11AM +0200, Jerzy Karczmarczuk wrote:
> Why not HyperNews? This is a stable, working system, combining the messaging
> and the persistent "article" pages. There are also other cooperative projects
> but more structured than Wikis, e.g. COW, etc.

I think it's "Push Vs. Pull" and "Disconnected Vs. Online".

What's good with a simple mailinglist is that I don't have to be
online while reading or anwerig (I am paying by the minute...).
I think this is important. Even if you have a good internet connection
you want to read while on a train or in a caffee.

Having a Push-Medium is important, too. I just don't visit the Squeak
Wiki or other websites that often. Onother important aspect is that it
is a little work to get subscribed. This helps to keep strange people away.

So I don't think that web-based systems or usenet would be the way we should
go.

But I think you are right that email isn't perfekt.

We should really look into using Squeak itself for all communication in our
community. If we are serious about building a "New Medium" with Squeak, we
should start using this medium to argue about squeak itself.

We should really start thinking about what squeak needs to make it powerfull
enough to be used as for its own development. We use Squeak as a tools to
build itself, but we should us it a medium (to talk about itself), too.

          Marcus

--
Marcus Denker marcus at ira.uka.de  -- Squeak! http://squeakland.org