Do some good for the world; make M$ irrelevant

Stéphane Rollandin hepta at zogotounga.net
Sat Jul 6 18:27:38 UTC 2002

>I would rather not spend
>my time learning how to exploit DRM security holes instead of
>Squeaking.

Should make myself clearer... actually I don't see why everything should
happen through DRM security holes. from what I understood, there's is no
law at all yet, this is simply another monopolistic attack on the
computer/services market. it may fail very simply, by not reaching its
critical mass (maybe it may work in the U.S, though...)

now it seems that several people on this list agree with the idea that one
eventual aim (or consequence) of this movement is to make it impossible for
anyone to program its own computer. when I said this does not make sense, I
did not mean that some people out there weren't trying to each that goal, I
was simply saying that a computer you can not program is not a computer
anymore, and really I don't see how we could do without computers ! not
speaking about squeakers, a lot of people, services, administrations and
entreprises need computers that they can program freely. so those "real"
computers, they will still be around, maybe more expensive. having them
illegal... this is a really strange idea, especially coming from a country
where almost everybody and its grand-mother can buy a machine-gun in the
next drugstore.

also... I wonder weither the freedom of programming can not be considered
as a straightforward extension of the freedom of speech. so it could
(should) be protected by the US first amendement.

Stef