Do some good for the world; make M$ irrelevant

Cees de Groot cg at cdegroot.com
Sat Jul 6 18:12:49 UTC 2002

Stéphane Rollandin wrote:
> I don't get it. Do you mean that you could simply not program your own computer ? What's the
> difference between an external non-certified application and your own non-certified stuff ?
> Is Emacs going to be illegal because you can use it to program in Lisp ?
> This does not make any sense.

Well, it is quite likely that you'll have a hard time to get a signed
copy of Emacs. And development will be hard - either you will be
sandboxed so you cannot do any harm, or you will have to run on a
crippled machine (i.e. one without DRM, especially for developers,
probably needing a registration or a license, and of course all the
regular software will refuse to run on it).

> What you're describing is a situation where, to prevent people from stealing cars, all cars are to be sold with no wheels, all tied togethers, and only able to go one way.
> These cars exist already, we call them trains...
> So I guess we are not talking about computers any more... we are talking about playstations !

Hey, I never said it wasn't an absurd situation - but it seems to be the
way that things are going with the DMCA and upcoming mandatory DRM
legislation; it'll turn the PC into a multimedia player/game console,
basically.