Improving the aesthetics and usability of Squeak

Johan Hermansson johan at naqua.se
Sun Jul 7 19:57:34 UTC 2002

On Sun, Jul 07, 2002 at 10:37:16PM +1000, i r thomas wrote:

> If there are any graphics designers on this list perhaps they could help improve the default colour scheme.
>
> Currently, the colour scheme is excessively cutesy.
>
> I agree that it is a trivial point.
> However, that is the sort of thing that turns off casual users who might otherwise go onto discover the treasures
> hidden within the depths of Squeak.

I've actually discussed this with some friends of mine, and we couldn't agree with you any more. IOHO some stuff are really below "professional look". I e the buttons to make the sidebars appear; they're terrible. :/

And as you said, it might seem like a trivial point, but it actually *plays* a big deal. Especially for all the new users; a person's first impression is always of greatest importance - and believe it or not, but the first thing a new Squeaker notices is the look'n feel. ;-)

A make up of Squeak by someone capable would really be appreciated.

Regards,

--
Johan Hermansson   +46-(0)709-919763
Naqua KB            <johan at naqua.se>